A Report on the issues of Hajj
By Sheikh Khalid Bin Abd Al Aziz Al Hueiseen
Compiled by: Abu Mujahed Al Maziani
Conditions of Ehram clothes :
1. Taking the intention (Niyah) of Ehram is one of the Haj pillars and putting on Ehram clothes is an obligation.
2. One must put on clothes of Ehram upon arrival at the Miqat or passing over (as in cases of air flights) them. Yet putting Ehram clothes at home before leaving to the trip as in cases of air flights is valid.
3. It is valid to take intention of Ehram (Niyah) before arriving to Miqat. However, it is not according to the Sunnah.
4. Only those who are intending to perform Haj or Ummrah are allowed to pass through Miqats in an Ehram status based on a hadeeth of the Messenger Salla Allah A`lyhee wa sallam:” Thjey (Miqats) for them ( people who live in different countries served by the Miqats) and for those who arrive to them intending Haj or Ummrah” reported by consensus. Other wise people may pass through them without Ehram clothes if they are not intending Haj or Ummrah.
5. One who passes over the Miqat without taking the Niyah of making Ehram must return back to the point of Miqat, takes Niyah of Ehram and dress up accordingly.
6. In case one didn’t take the Niyah but already put on the clothes and passed through Miqat, he must make a ransom either went back to the point of Miqat or not. In all cases as long as he is obliged for a ransom, then must continue his trip.
7. Again according to the Sunnah based on the hadeeth narrated by Asma Bint Omays may Allah be pleased with her:” then let her bath” while she was in her post natal period. So if she was in this condition and bathed, it is even more recommended for men and women in regular condition to bath. However, again taking the bath at Miqat itself is not obligatory but rather and confirmed Sunnah.
8. A man intending Haj or Ummrah must ware two pieces of cloth, one around the waste and the other on the shoulder. Being new is not a must, if he already had them he may use them.
9. It is only Sunnah to wear them white but not a must.
10. A woman uses any of her regular clothes which are not necessarily white for Ehram. But she must not copy the men appearance.
11. A woman must not get into Ehram wearing either gloves or Niqab.
12. Men must not wear socks or shoes that go above the heels. Only socks and shoes that are below.
13. A man is not allowed to wear any garment including sewing such as pants, head cap, thawb (long garment like Jilbab). In other words tailored garments.
14. A man during status of Ehram is allowed to fix the piece of cloth wrapped around his waste with a belt or the like in order also to keep his money.
15. A man is allowed also to attach a pocket to this Izar (piece of cloth around the waste) even using a thread. However, it is better not to lest it will look like a shirt.
16. One may bath during Ehram and softly rub his head using water and soap but not perfumed soap according to the hadeeth narrated by Abi Ayoud may Allah be pleased with him and reported in Bukhari and Muslim: he rubbed his head and said I saw the Messenger of Allah Salla Allah a`lyhee wa sallam does this.
17. One may also softly scratch his/her head during Ehram.
18. One is also allowed to comb his/her hair during status of Ehram. Even if few hairs fell during the combing process the Ehram will remain valid as what falls are only dead hair.
19. Ehram clothes must not be perfumed either before of after taking the Niyah.
20. In case one can not find the required pieces of cloth to use for Ehram, he may use his shirt of turbon and wear them in the shape of Izar (around the waster) and Reda-a (on the shoulder).
21. A man may take shelter with an animal skin, blanket or any other similar item from cold or hot whether. He may cover his back or front side but the head. He must not also insert his hands into the cover as if it was pockets of a garment.
22. One must make a ransom in case he was compelled to violate one of Ehram restrictions such as shaving the head hair due to being inflicted with lice or use a head cover such as turbon or head cap due to heat or cold whether based on the hadeeth narrated by Ka`ab Ibn Ujzah may Allah be pleased with him and reported by Bukhari and Muslim.
23. A man is allowed to cover his head using his hand, take shade under an umbrella, sit under a tent, car body or other items that are not directly touching the head copying the Messenger Salla Allah A`lyhee wa sallam during Ehram.
24. A man may use the cupping therapy (Hijamah) during Ehram if he needs to. In case he needed to cut some hair at the spot required for the cupping thewrapy, he is not obliged for a ransom. This rule is established according to the Prophet’s Sunnah who had a cupping therapy (Hijama) while in Ehram and didn’t make a ransom neither did he instruct for so.
25. However, he must make a ransom in case he had to shave much of his hair.
26. An important point that must be made in this regard is that some scholar go with saying that one must be giving out one date as Sadaqa for the falling of one hair, two dates for the falling of two hairs. But the fact is that one in Ehram is not compelled as such unless he is extra careful then he may do so.
27. One may tie or wrap his head with a piece of cloth in case he suffered pain. This is not violation of Ehram conditions.
28. A man may cover his face during status of Ehram.