A Report on the issues of Hajj
By Sheikh Khalid Bin Abd Al Aziz Al Hueiseen
Compiled by: Abu Mujahed Al Maziani
Rulings of Tawaaf (circumambulating):
1. The scholars have agreed upon that there are seven rounds for each Tawaaf (circumambulating).
2. It begins at the Black stone, and ends at the Black stone.
3. At the beginning of the round, one must make Takbeer (God is the Greatest): “Bismillah wa Allahu Akbar” (in the name of God and God is the Greatest).
4. The House (Ka`bah) should be on his/her left side.
5. The majority of scholars have agreed that it’s better to be near the House during circumambulating.
6. One has to cover their ‘awraa (parts of the body which must not be revealed to strangers)
7. One has to be free of major impurity such as Janaba (having an orgasm due to intercourse or wet dream) – Haid (menstruation).
8. A woman has to be clean from menstruation.
9. There is a Hadith of ibn ‘Abbaas, may Allah be pleased be with both: “circumambulating at the house (Ka`bah) is Salaat”.
11. It is permissible for a woman experiencing Estihada (blood spots that may drop after her menstruation stops each according to her regular number of days) to do Tawaf.
13. The scholars differed regarding the necessity of maintaining minor purity (Wodu) on three sayings:
The predominant opinion that it is an established Sunnah.
12. There should be no touching, except for the touching of the Black Stone and the Yemeni corner.
13- Ka`ba has four corners, with three rulings to be observed:.
First: One can kiss the Black Stone.
Second: The Yemeni corner can be touched but not kissed, and this is of the sunnah – and when touched you should say; “Bismillah wa Allahu Akbar”. The evidence is in Tabari with sound chain of transmission.
Third: One should not touch, nor kiss, the rest of the corners of the House. And if touched then this will go against the Sunnah.
14- There are different ways of kissing the Black Stone: it has been verified by the Sunnah that it can be by mouth, with stick then kissing the top of the stick, with hands then kissing the hands or by throwing ones Ezar then kissing it. This act came through ibn ‘Abbaas, may llah be pleased with them both, and it’s sound.
15- One shouldn’t circumambulate into Hijr Ismail at a six-arm length by the Ka`bah.
16- It is prohibited to circumambulate on the Shazrawaan, the Shazrawaan is a small wall stuck to the Ka`bah from the ground.
17- It is better to be near the Ka`bah.
18- It is better to take your time and not hurry. And to hurry is only to be done on the first three rounds.
19- Iddeba` (which his to reveal the right shoulder of a man) is a Sunnah only in one case during Tawaf.
20- There is no evidence of sound hadith of the Messenger, SallaAllahu alayhee wa sallam, regarding making du`a during the Tawaaf but only at the two corners, which is: “Rabbana attinaa fel dunnya hassna wa fil akhiraa hassna wa qinna a`dhaabu naar” ( Our Lord , give us good in this world and good in the Hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the Fire)
21- The scholars differed on reading the Qur`an during the Tawaaf. But it’s correct to recite it.
22- Every Dhkir during the Tawaaf is permissible.
23- All the newly books that some people have compiled regarding making a du`aa for each and every round and Sa`i is an innovation.
24- One should not make a Takbeer after finishing the Tawaf, but if the Takbeer is done; then there is no harm.
25- If one doubted on how many rounds they’ve made, then they should do one more at least.
26- If one stopped during circumambulating for the reason of an obligatory salaah, or a janazaa prayer; then they should pray then continue afterwards with the Tawaf from where they stopped.
27- If one stopped circumambulating for no valid reason for a long time, then they should restart the 7 rounds from fresh.
28- If one stopped circumambulating because of loss of conscious, then they should start from where they have stopped.
29- Some may do the Tawaf being carried on someone’s head. It is permissible but it has to be lower than the Ka`bah.
30- After finishing the Tawaf, it’s encouraged to pray 2 rak`ah behind the Maqaam: (And take the Maqaam of Ibraheem as a place of prayer – Qur`an)
31- It is of a sunnah, and not fard, and it is correct; but there is no harm if one never prayed it. And in the four Imaams (Hanafi, Shafi`i, Maliki and Hanbali) it is fard.
32- One can pray it anywhere inside the Haram (the Noble Sanctuary of the Ka`bah), and it is valid and correct.
33- If one prays it outside the Haram, then that too is valid. Since ‘Umar (ra) done so also.
34- One should read suraatul Kafirun and al Ikhlaas (Say Allah is One), behind the Maqaam.
35- It is known that Suraatul Kafirun and Suraatul Samadd are called “al Ikhlaas” (The Sincereity).
36- The Scholars have said and compiled many books regrading suraatul Ikhlaas.
37- If experienced pure dischrages, then his circumambulating are accepted but this is against the Sunnah.
38- The Tawaf of both the carrier and the one who is being carried are valid – if both made the intention.
39- Is it true that people of Jeddah (those who live in Jeddah) have to also perform the Tawaaful Wud`a? The answer is, yes.
40- Has the one who does ‘Umraah also meant to do the Tawaul Wud`a (fairwell)?
If one leaves immediately after completing the ‘Ummrah then there is no need for the Tawaaf; but if stayed and slept overnight, then he /she has to perform the Tawaaf since there are evidence which support this.
41- There is a sound hadith of Haakim, which support the validity of performing the salaah after the Tawaaf, and even at the forbiddance time (after Farj and Asr). But some scholars preferred to postpone the salaah, until the forbiddance time ends. It is that Omar used to postpone prayer after completing the Tawaf till after sunrise in case he finished before.
From this we derive the rule that after each Tawaaf, there is a salaah.
It is also permissible if one made about three Tawafs without praying, to pray 6 Rak`as at one time rather than 2 after each Tawaf.